Thursday, June 26, 2008

A word on Nostalgia...

The term nostalgia describes a longing for the past, often in idealized form. The word is made up of two Greek roots (νόστος nostos "returning home", and άλγος algos "pain"), to refer to "the pain a sick person feels because he wishes to return to his native land, and fears never to see it again"

So when somebody is nostalgic, they are in other words, homesick. That's strange considering I have considered myself nostalgic by yearning for the past. But the past I yearn for is not something I have personally experienced. I yearn for the 'good ol' days', when the air was cleaner, the education better, less worries, better lives etc etc... But that type of yearning is not nostalgia. It is merely a yearning for something I can never achieve.

If that is the case, then I am definitely most 'unnostalgic', or as some put it, I have wanderlust, or the strong desire to leave home, which is also untrue. I think in my situation, I am just very able to leave something/ put something down without looking back. Without regrets. Without feeling a nagging pull to my conscience. A new world awaits.

Right now, I'm preparing to leave for my studies in USM, Penang. Granted that it is not very far from home, the logistics involved in such an undertaking as moving off for studies are very complicated. And for the first time, I am feeling a little twinge. I am going to miss some people in Ipoh. Something I have never felt when I am leaving a school, institution, or center...

Anyway, I'll be leaving on Friday, 8 15 A.M. to Butterworth. The time is short. There is almost no time for farewells. No closures. Just like every time. Maybe the lack of closure is the reason I can just put something down, leave it and never look back. Maybe. Just maybe. But I do want to look back this time. I want to remember your faces, your names, you. Even if I don't get a chance to say goodbye.

My bags are packed, my tickets bought, my heart is almost set. We shall meet again. I hope we can be friends again. Put all these behind us and be friends, when we meet again.

No comments: