Friday, November 02, 2007

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

This latin palindrome (for those of you who don't know, a palindrome is a sentence that reads the same forwards and backwards) means "We enter the circle at night and are consumed by fire", describing the behaviour of moths.

Sometimes, I liken this situation to myself. I am a moth, entering a circle in the darkness, and finally being consumed by the flames. This can apply to two situations.

The first is when I am attracted by vain things that destroy, entering the circle, along with so many others who are attracted by the same things, unaware of the destructive powers of the attraction. Finally, I am destroyed by the thing that attracted me, consumed by the flames of passion.

The second is to studies. The flame is the testing fire of examinations. If I don't study well enough, I enter the circle (exams) in the darkness, and unsure of my coordinates, I plunge into the whole thing unprepared and finally am consumed by the flames of examinations.

Am I a moth? I hope not. Yet time and again I fall back into a familiar pattern that leads to the path of destruction. Can I break free from the circle? Leave the familiar encircling towards a destructive attraction and fly towards safety?

In Omnia Paratus
(ready for everything)

2 comments:

Dormiens said...

Chun le the palindrome thing!

"Zach" said...

Hehe thanks, Maybe I'll post about some other favourite palindromes of mine later..

Btw here are some well known ones:

Madam, I'm Adam
A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!
Racecar
noon
eve