Thursday, August 26, 2010

21 books I have to read before my graduation

Below is a list that I have compiled of books outside my required reading list that I have decided to finish reading before my graduation date.

The reason for this list is because I feel that the current repertoire of read books that I have is by no means extensive enough. The other reason is because then I would have a reason or purpose to strive for in the betterment of self.

The list of 21 books I have to read before graduating (in no particular order)
1. Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
2. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
3. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
5. Don Quixote by Miguel de Servantes Saavedra
6. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
7. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighiery
8. In Search for Lost Time by Marcel Proust
9. The Iliad by Homer
10. The Odyssey by Homer
11. The Aeneid by Virgil
12. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
13. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
14. Madam Bovary by Gustav Flaubert
15. Ulysses by James Joyce
16. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
17. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
18. On The Road by Jack Kerouac
19. To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
20. The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
21. Hamlet by William Shakespeare

I will update the blog every time I finish reading a book on this list, and cross it out. The update will include a brief review or my experiences reading that particular book.

If you have any suggestions for me to include in the next list of books I will read, do drop me a comment and I will put it into consideration.

And of course, just because it is not on the list does not mean that I will not read that book. I still have my compulsory reading materials and books like Days of Change by Chuah Guat Eng (highly recommended, by the way), Joseph Andrews by Henry Fielding, Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift and the list goes on and on.

I sure hope that I can finish this assignment that I have laid down for myself.

No comments: