Monday, November 23, 2009

Unexpected Outcomes...

Almost two years ago, I went under the tutelage of a great sales person. I learned the basics of investment; I learned how to persuade people; I learned how to take risks; I learned what it meant to be a salesperson.

I learned fast. I sold fast. I closed deals faster than I could make new ones.

I was "promoted" to "Sales Supervisor" within a month.

My "salary" was worth five figures.

I sold RM 200'000 worth of "product".

Then I quit. I lost momentum.

Today, I work as the External Relations Manager for one of the largest student-run organizations in the world. I learn how to lead people; I learn how to work in a team; I learn how to approach people in authority.

Yet, I am struggling to meet the targets that were laid down since the last planning meet. I keep asking for explanations, justifications, excuses. Nothing seems to fit.

Today, I learned that the place I learned my skills from is part of an illegal conglomerate formed to dupe people. I am one of those who got duped. Along with all the people I approached, and all the people I managed to convince. Yet it was in this "company" that I learned what it is like to take risks, and to muster the courage to talk to people. The experiences that I gained from this illegal activity, now, in hindsight, gives me the insight and knowledge that I would not be duped by something similar ever again.


You learn things from the most unexpected sources.

Usual events can have unusual outcomes that shock and surprise you.




*P.s. I am sorry to all those that got "duped" because of me. But please remember that I did not know the reality of what I was doing until much later, and that I am a victim as well.

No comments: